Governments and multinational corporations face pressures from industrialization, globalization and outsourcing. Fasken’s International Trade & Investment Law group helps clients manage risks and remove barriers to trade and investments as they go to market.
We represent clients in international trade-remedy matters ranging from anti-dumping, countervailing duties and safeguards to trade remedy investigations. Recognized for our experience in international trade policy, regulatory issues and litigation, we have assisted governments in formulating compliant trade and economic policies. We also represent companies in trade remedy cases and manage the details of customs audits.
Clients look to us for advice on how to maximize the benefits arising from multilateral and bilateral trade agreements (including the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) and the World Trade Organization agreements). We also help our enforce our clients’ rights in, for example, government procurement disputes and investor-state arbitration. Our lawyers are qualified in international dispute resolution processes such as the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), American Arbitration Association (AAA), British Columbia International Commercial Arbitration Centre (BCICAC), and Canadian Commercial Arbitration Centre (CCAC).
We help clients monitor and participate in ongoing trade negotiations, such as the Canada-United Kingdom Free Trade Agreement negotiations and the Canada-India Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement negotiations.
We advise public and private sector clients on a wealth of international trade issues. Our clients include federal and provincial government agencies, quasi-government/state-related entities, multinational companies and small- and medium-sized businesses. We serve industries as diverse as agriculture and aviation.
- Anti-dumping and countervailing duty inquiries, safeguards and other trade remedies
- Customs value for duty and transfer pricing
- Tariff classification
- Import and export controls, economic sanctions and trade embargoes
- Strategic application of trade and investment agreements, including WTO and CUSMA
- Customs audits of tariff classification, value and origin for preferential treatment
- Civil seizure, forfeiture and penalty cases
- Government procurement
- Investor protection provisions of Bilateral Investment Treaties/Foreign Investment Protection Agreements (BITs/FIPAs)
- Creating, operating and auditing compliance programs
- Anti-bribery rules
- Regulatory policy creation, assessment, and compliance advice